Headaches and Help
There are 5 common headaches that can get Awesome relief with specific upper cervical care. If you are suffering with migraines, cluster headaches, tension type headache, post traumatic headaches, or cervicogenic headaches, you can get results. And, it doesn’t have to be painful or dangerous to the rest of your body
What causes headaches? Let’s make a simplification of a major issue…
- Meninges: this is the tissue that holds your brain in place and keeps it from knocking against your skull. The Dura Matter has a lot of blood vessels running through it and is very sensitive to pain. The dura extends into the spinal canal and protects the spinal cord. Any twisting or torsion of the dura shows up as a headache.
- Blood Supply: the brain and meninges are supplied from arteries from the internal carotid, vertebral basilar and external carotid arteries. Meningeal blood vessels are very sensitive to pain. It is generally recognized that the development of headaches depends upon the activation of these sensitive nerves.
- Trigeminal Autonomic Reflex: dilated meningeal blood vessels send pain signals via a branch of the Trigeminal Nerve through the Trigeminal Ganglion and synapting in the neck. Nerves then send signals to the thalamus and higher brain centers where they are perceived as pain.
- Facial Nerve: similar to the Trigeminal nerve, the Facial nerve has synapses in the cervical region of the spine.
- Cerebral Spinal Fluid: CSF is made in your brain, travels through sinuses protected by the dura mater, throughout the spine and back into the brain to run off into the jugular vein (why do you think vampires like to bite your neck).
In each of the above causes of headaches, there is one common denominator. The neck.
A subluxation of the top vertebrae of the neck can:
- Cause tension and torsion on the meninges.
- Cause changes in blood pressure and size of blood vessels in the head
- Interfere with nerve input and output of the Trigeminal Nerve.
- Interfere with nerve input and output of the Facial Nerve.
- Impair normal CSF flow throughout the cranium and spine.
Headaches are now classified by The International Headache Society. For more info start here.
A comprehensive history is the most important tool for accurate diagnosis and care. You may want to fill out a:
- Headache History Questionnaire
- Headache Diary
- Headache Disability Index
- Neck Disability Index
All of these are very important in the evaluation of what your headache may stem from.
You do not have to go one minute longer with headaches. There is help and hope. Specific upper cervical adjustments can relieve nerve pressure, remove torque to the meninges, and restore normal blood and CSF flow. All in all, We restore normal balance and function to the body.
A body in balance and normal function does not have headaches.
Call our office today to see if We are a fit for you (810) 225-7246